#262 Cape of Good Hope Serruria Chardonnay 2020
VIDEO CHAPTER INDEX:
00:00 – WHAT IS A SERRURIA?
00:20 – AN INTRO TO THE CAPE OF GOOD HOPE WINES
01:12 – WHERE ARE THE VINES PLANTED?
01:39 – MOUNTAINS, ALTITUDE, AND SOLAR RADIATION
02:06 – WHAT DOES THE WINE SMELL LIKE?
03:02 – WHAT DOES THE WINE TASTE LIKE?
04:21 – A RECAP & QUESTIONS FOR THE FUTURE
Old vines and altitude
The Cape of Good Hope Range is a dramatically underrated wines that was born out of Johan Rupert’s connection to the old vine project back in 2016, when he essentially funded the process that Rosa Kruger and Andre Morgenthal had envisioned. Part of the mission of the Old Vine Project involved going on a treasure hunt for South Africa’s ancient lost vineyards, and seeking to restore them.
Along the way, the Rupert Wines team realised that, aside from simply cataloguing these old vines, there were some incredible vineyards that weren’t being showcased adequately…and so the Cape of Good Hope label was born as a way to share these old, secret tucked away gem vineyards, communicated through the medium of wine.
In case you were wondering, this Serurria Chardonnay is named after a particularly beautiful fynbos flower, even though the flower itself is not particularly common where these vineyards grow.
If you have yet to sign up for your Monthly HanDrinksSolo Wine Subscription then you’ll have to hunt this wine down in your own time. But until then, here are my tasting notes and some technical specs.
👃🏼 The vanguard carries freshly cut ripe oranges, vanilla spice and oatmeal.
👄 The palate is generously laden with generous ripe oranges and mandarin, laced with hints of sweet vanilla spice. Despite the impression of ripeness, there is also some lively lemony acidity and meyer lemon rind preserve on the finish that keeps the sense of freshness. A lingering touch of oak spice adds a lovely complication.
🔬 Wine of Origin Elandskloof. The vines are grown at between 600m and 800m ASL in quartz and Sandstone soils. The average annual temperature is a cool 16.8 degrees.
The fruit was picked from four separate vineyards, before being whole-bunch pressed and then allowed to settle overnight. 20% of the wine was fermented in Stainless Steel, while the remaining 80% was fermented in French oak. 25% of that 80% was fermented in new oak (yeah…get your calculator out), which means that 20% of the final wine saw new oak. The wine was then matured for 11 months on lees, and only 15% of it was allowed to go through malolactic conversion.
Alcohol: 13.5 % | pH: 3.20 | Total Acidity: 7.2 g/ℓ | Residual Sugar: 3.5 g/ℓ
Three Spectacular-but-underexposed South African Chardonnays
#281 Stony Brook Ghosst Gum White 2021
#259 La Vierge Jezebel Chardonnay 2021
#257 Sutherland Chardonnay 2020